Thursday, December 13, 2012

Nutty-Mellow Popcorn Delight

Last year my culinary crazy neighbor made us some marshmellowy-popcorn-peanutty-sweet yummy something, among twenty other treats (no joke), and I almost single handedly ate the whole thing (also, no joke).  It obviously made a HUGE impression on me because it's all I could think about making this year.  I just didn't think I could go on without it.

Basking in the memory of it's tasty goodness I pulled together a piece here and a piece there to create this amazing concoction.  I will admit.....it's still missing something....some "secret ingredient" (not counting the spiced gumdrops that my husband made me promise I would leave out).  It's just not quite like the baking goddess's but it is still pretty dang good.  I may just have to find a way to get in touch with her and beg her for her recipe.  Until then, perhaps we should just enjoy a bit (or a lot) of this highly tasty morsel.

Think ultra gooey, ultra nutty, and ultra awesome.


Nutty-Mellow Popcorn Delight
(pulled together from Mama Cindy's (aka my mothers) recipe collection and allrecipes.com)

3 bags microwave popcorn**
2 cubes (1 cup) salted butter
2 10 oz bags mini marshmellows
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla extract

Stir-ins (all are optional...get creative):  
1 bag Peanut Butter M&M'S 
1 bag Peanut M&M's
1 jar/canister honey roasted peanuts
1 cup small gumdrops (not featured in this picture)
sprinkles
  

Pop popcorn (**see notes below).  Add stir-ins and set asideIn a large saucepan, heat butter, marshmallow, sugar and corn syrup on med-low heat until smooth (marshmallows are completely melted), stirring very often, if not continuously.  Remove from heat; add vanilla.  Pour marshmallow mixture over popcorn and mix until well coated.  Spread onto wax paper until cool.  Store in airtight container or bag.  

**You are looking for the equivalent of about 12 cups popped popcorn (that makes it really gooey.  If you want a dryer popcorn add 1-3 more cups.)  Honestly, we usually use microwave popcorn (the "healthy" stuff with just a bit of butter and salt...yum) but you can used regular air popped as well.  For microwave, use about 3 bags...for air pop you are looking at about 9 TBSP (just over 1/2 cup).  It's really not an exact science...just a good jumping off point.  :)  Try to weed out as many of the un-popped kernel's as possible (no one likes to chomp into a hard kernel after all).  You can do this by collecting the popcorn into a large brown paper sack (or a large bowl) and shaking lightly to "settle" the un-popped kernel's in the bottom.  Then lightly hand spoon the popped corn into a (another) LARGE bowl.   

 To make a beautiful neighbor gift, press cooled popcorn into a cling wrap lined bread pan and form into a loaf.  Wrap loaf with excess cling wrap and continue wrapping until covered.  Add a bow for a fun touch.  

And ENJOY!

3 comments:

Messy Musings said...

Love oooey gooey popcorn treats!! Eat some for me please :o)

Dee said...

It looks interesting. I've never seen a recipe quite like that one, but I bet my kids sure would love it.
beneaththeelmtree.blogspot.com

Melanie said...

Be careful Dee....it's addicting.