Sunday, December 2, 2012

Heaven On Earth "Skinny" Soda Bread


Have you ever heard of Tastefully Simple? I LOVE Tastefully Simple food. So, so good. So many favorites...this Beer Batter Bread being right at the top.  Others super tasties include, but are not limited to their Key Lime Cheese Ball and my newest indulgence the Irish Cream Fudge Sauce  (added a TBSP to my hot chocolate yesterday.  Squeal! I think I may be drooling...yep, I'm drooling.) 

Anyhow...

I'm not trying to steal their thunder here. I promise.  I LOVE them.  And it's not the price of their products either, okay....maybe a little...but usually I am totally willing to pay that kind of money for that kind of perfection.

That's not the problem .  The problem for us is that a lot of my favorite products, including the Beer Batter Bread, are manufactured in a plant with peanuts/tree nuts. That doesn't bode well for my child who is deathly allergic to cashews. I can make it here but he can't have any.  Which means I can't give any to my other kids ("not fair").  Which means I end up making it AFTER the kids are in bed.  And then it's just the hubby and I.  And then I end up eating half of the loaf on my own (true story, happened yesterday).....and that doesn't go along so well with the whole "trying to lose weight" thing so I just HAD to find a better solution. These kids should not have to be deprived of such a delicacy and I should not be allowed to indulge alone in it.

I found a simple copy cat recipe and tweaked it a bit, making it a bit more skinnylicious.

So, without further ado.

Heaven on Earth "Skinny" Soda Bread  
(commonly known as Beer Batter Bread)
adapted from this recipe at Food.com

Ingredients:
3 cups flour
1 TBSP baking powder
3 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
1 (12oz) can carbonated soda**--see notes
3 TBSP unsalted butter, melted (omit for "skinny"--trust me, it doesn't need it)

Directions:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.  In a mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients.  Add soda/beer all at once.  Mix vigorously for 20-30 seconds, just until well combined.  Batter will be thick and lumpy.  Scrape and spread batter into a greased 9x5inch loaf pan.  Bake in the oven 35-40 minutes, until sides separate from pan and knife in the center comes out clean.  Turn out onto rack to cool for at least 30 minutes before serving.   12 servings per loaf  (Nutrition Info--each slice:  calories: 125, carbs: 30g, fat: 0g, protein 3g)

Notes:
The sweeter the soda, the sweeter the end product will be.  Lemon-lime is fairly middle ground.  Orange soda will make it VERY sweet and ginger-ale or club soda will drastically cut it down.  Play with the recipe.  Experiment.  You can even use rootbeer, cola, or carbonated juice.  Whatever.  The carbonation is the key.

 This recipe is fantastic as isFANTASTIC!

But it's also very versatile.  If you feel like mixin' it up a bit, here are a few variations.


Melanie's (that's me) Cinnamon and Sugar Soda Bread (pictured above)
Prepare recipe as directed above.  Once the loaf is spread into the pan, pour 1 TBSP melted, unsalted butter over the dough.  Combine 3 TBSP sugar with 1 tsp cinnamon.  Sprinkle over melted butter and bake as directed above.   Or divide into muffin tins for a scrumptious breakfast treat.  12 servings per loaf. (Nutrition info--each slice:  calories: 145, carbs: 33g, fat: 1g, protein: 3g)

Other ideas from Tastefully Simple, themselves:
*Mix Italian seasoning and Parmesan cheese into batter for an Italian twist. 
*Add carbonated juice, nuts, and diced fruit to make muffins or breakfast breads.
*Make cornbread by substituting liquid with a 16 oz can of creamed corn and 1/3 cup oil.
* Drizzle with honey
*Spread with butter and sprinkle with Seasoned Salt; then grill.
* Use cubed bread for bread pudding.

Also...a not so sweet version of this is SO SO SO GOOD with warm dips.  Think spinach, and/or artichoke, nacho cheese, you get the idea.  Ooohhhh...I think I may need a bib.

I hope you enjoy it.  I know I will.
 signature

No comments: