Sunday, January 15, 2012

Custom Coat Hanger---Yes! It's finally up!

If you'll remember, several weeks back, I set out to find a solution for this problem:
I think you will agree that this coat rack is far to small for our families "needs".

I was inspired by Katie from Project: Possible and her post project: from empty wall to mud room to create something workable for my family/home.

I headed off to Home Depot and picked up an piece of scrap wood for $.87 and a round stick to cut dowels out of.  Then I sat on it and sat on it.

I sat on it because I realized that, while I loved her idea (and was SO in need of it's inspiration), it was not exactly what I wanted.  What I wanted was something a little fancier (because it would be a major decorative piece in my scantly decorated home), something that would last for a lifetime, and something that would easily accommodate our growing family (nope, not an announcement).

But...what I wanted was definitely going to cost me more than the $1.80 I had already forked out.  I so wanted this project to be super cheap.  Bummer.  What was a girl to do?

In the end, I turned from what was most frugal and, instead, went for what I really wanted, despite the cost difference.  (My mama always said, "Buy the best you can afford.")

At least I still used the $.87 piece of scrap wood.

I sanded, painted, distressed, polyurethane-ed, measured, drilled and added hooks (just under $4 each)....and this is what I ended up with.
 I LOVE IT!
Yeah...it cost me more than I originally intended but....the results are priceless.

Where else are you going to find a custom made coat hanger with seven (yes, 7!) double vertical hooks, spaced 3.5 inches apart, in the precise color you want....for under $35 dollars?
Nowhere!  
Believe me...I looked.

And....despite our sincerely lacking carpentry skills, my husband and I FINALLY got it hung on the wall.
(See how nice and organized everything is?)

1 comment:

J. said...

Seriously brilliant ideas. And like I'm running for the bleach to clean out my e-coli infested washer right now--who knew.